Water Main Break Repair
A water main is the principal line in the water supply system that delivers water to the service lines connected to your home or business. When this line cracks or leaks, a water main break repair is required to minimize the resulting damage and restore water to nearby properties.
Q&AWATER MAIN BREAKS
Several factors that can lead to a water main break:
- Age and material of the water main pipe – Older pipes often are made from cast iron or clay, materials that won’t expand or contract with changes in temperature and can become brittle over time, leading to cracks and leaks. Newer water main lines made from ductile iron or plastic are more flexible and less likely to crack easily.
- Changes in water pressure – Water pressure will change when there are fluctuations in temperature (known as thermal expansion), or when a hydrant is opened or closed too quickly (known as a water hammer).
- Excavation work – Anyone digging near an underground water main line – contractors, utility workers, and even homeowners – can inadvertently hit and crack the pipe, causing a leak.
- Normal ground settling and corrosive soils can also contribute to water main breaks.
The water running through the water main line is under a great deal of pressure so, when a crack or leak develops, the water is pushed to the surface. One of the earliest indications of a water main break is a loud rumbling noise coming from the pipes inside your building. Other signs included:
- Water running along the surface or your property or the roadway,
- A drop in water pressure throughout the building,
- Cloudy or discolored water coming from the tap,
- Water collecting in the basement where there is no evident leak or recent rainfall.
Immediately report the first sign of a water main break to the proper authorities and/or a licensed contractor experienced in water main break repairs. Water main breaks can be extremely disruptive, causing interruption of services, damage to nearby properties, road closures and possible flooding.
Finding and isolating the source of a break in an underground water main line requires experience and specialized tools. Because there are so many contributing factors, each break is unique. Repairs can take anywhere from several hours to several days to complete.
Water Main Break Repair Specialists
When it comes to water main break repairs, you want immediate response from a reliable, experienced contractor. The professional plumbers at Michael J. Messick Plumbing have more than 30 years of experience with all types of plumbing issues, including water main break repairs. Our technicians pride themselves in their ability to diagnose and repairs problems promptly and efficiently and our trucks are outfitted with a large selection of parts and equipment to provide quick remedies.
To minimize the destruction that can result from a water main break, call Michael J. Messick Plumbing at the first sign of a problem.
Proudly Serving a 30 mile radius of Lambertville, NJ, including:
Annandale, Asbury, Bedminster, Belle Mead, Bordentown, Branchburg, Bridgewater, Clinton, Cranbury, East Windsor, Ewing, Flemington, Franklin Park, Franklin Township, Frenchtown, Glen Gardner, Hamilton, Hampton, High Bridge, Hillsborough, Hopewell, Kendall Park, Kingston, Lambertville, Lawrenceville, Lebanon, Mercerville, Milford, Monmouth Junction, North Brunswick, Pennington, Pittstown, Plainsboro, Princeton, Quakertown, Ringoes, Robbinsville, Rocky Hill, Rosemont, Sergeantsville, Skillman, Somerset, Stockton, Three Bridges, Titusville, Trenton, West Windsor, Whitehouse Station, Yardville.
Eastern Pennsylvania’s Bucks County including Buckingham, Carversville, Doylestown, Lahaska, Point Pleasant, Solebury, Warrington, Yardley.