Frozen Pipes and Burst Pipes
Messick Plumbing is ready to help with frozen pipes. If caught in time, frozen pipes may be thawed, preventing pipes from bursting. In the event, your pipes did burst, Messick Plumbing will replace those burst pipes!
When temperatures drop below freezing for an extended period, pipes in vulnerable areas can freeze and burst leading to costly damages. A frozen pipe is always an inconvenience, but it can actually result in a situation much more serious than just a temporary loss of water.
The risk of frozen water pipes is very serious during the cold winter months. When water freezes it expands, exerting enough pressure to rupture most any plastic or metal pipe. And when a pipe bursts, it can spill hundreds of gallons of water – translating into thousands of dollars in damages to your home. Broken pipes can release a flood of water, which can ruin furniture and other belongings. The water can also cause structural damage and facilitate the growth of mold which, in turn, can lead to a series of health risks.
In many instances, frozen pipes can be thawed if caught in time, preventing them from bursting. In the event your pipes do burst, Messick Plumbing can replace them.
The Warning Signs of Frozen Pipes
There are several factors that could indicate your pipes are in danger of freezing. Weather is a primary indicator. When temperatures fall to 32 degrees or lower, exposed pipes are in danger. Signs to look for are:
- frost on the pipes
- a low or non-existent water flow
- a strange odor coming from the drain
If you suspect your water pipes are frozen, don’t hesitate to call Messick Plumbing. You need to act quickly before your pipes burst. As long as the problem is discovered in time, there is a good chance your pipes can be thawed by applying heat to the affected area. Our experienced plumbers can thaw your frozen pipes and repair or replace any pipes that may have burst.
High-Risk Frozen Pipes Locations
Pipes are most susceptible to freezing when they are located:
- on an outside wall;
- under a sink and other poorly insulated area;
- in an unheated garage or crawlspace.
Other water pipes at risk of freezing include:
- outdoor hose bibs;
- water sprinklers;
- swimming pool supply lines.
During Cold Weather, Take Preventive Action to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Don’t wait until you have a problem to take action. Before the onset of cold weather, Michael J. Messick Plumbing can help you take the steps necessary to prevent your water supply lines and pipes from freezing. We will:
- winterize your hose bibs, sprinkler systems, and even your entire house if it will not be lived in during the winter months;
- check around your home or building for other unheated areas where pipes may be located – basements, crawlspaces, attics, garages, under kitchen and bathroom sinks – and insulate both hot and cold water pipes in those areas.
There are several preventive measures you can take on your own to reduce the risk of your pipes freezing:
- drain and properly store outdoor hoses and supply lines for pools and sprinkler systems;
- shut indoor valves to outdoor water supplies and keep outdoor hose bibs open, allowing water to drain and expand without bursting the pipes;
- insulate water pipes located in the garage, or be sure to keep your garage doors closed in colder weather;
- open under-sink cabinets in your kitchen and bathroom to allow for circulation of warmer air around your pipes when temperatures plummet;
- insulate your attic, basement, or crawlspace – this can help cut down on your heating costs, too;
- relocate exposed pipes to more protected areas if possible.
Skilled, Dependable Plumbing Services
Frozen pipes can have catastrophic effects on your home or building. The cost of plumbing repairs is determined largely by where the pipe is located and whether or not the pipe has burst. If the affected section of pipe is buried deep in a wall, repairs can become more labor intensive. And if your pipes burst before the problem is addressed, you’ll be faced not only with the cost of pipe repairs, but also the cost of repairing other damages the flooding may cause.
Don’t get caught off-guard. Let our skilled, dependable plumbers help winterize your home or building before problems arise. When you do have problems with frozen pipes, we will respond quickly to help mitigate any collateral damages.
Michael J. Messick Plumbing has provided plumbing services to residential and commercial customers in the Central New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania area for more than 30 years. All of our technicians are licensed, bonded and insured for your peace of mind.